Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Splash Pad: Fun and Frantic

I decided to take the kids to the local splash pad for some afternoon fun in the sun. This particular day went well, although Stocky has a pretty hard time with the water temperature: Brrrrr!!! I have to admit, it is freezing, and I only run in when I have to chase one the kids for some reason or other :) Annabelle loves to take a sippy cup to play with. She fills it up over and over and over again. She loves it and has a lot of fun!

The 2nd time we went to the splash pad was quite scary. There was a little boy who had an awesome car wagon. Stockton was captivated and wanted to sit in it--badly! He kept going over to the wagon and trying to get in, at which point I would go get him (insert crazy, embarrassing tantrum right here). This happened a few times and he wouldn't let up. I tried everything! I tried distracting him; I tried getting into the ice cold water and playing with him; I tried getting Annabelle to play with him and distract him; I tried bringing him back to the blanket for a drink and snack. Nothing worked. Back he went, and back I went to get him, returning each time with a screaming and kicking toddler. As much as I loved repeating the episode in front of what I imagine to be very entertained spectators, I finally gave up the fight and told Annabelle it was time to go. She came quickly and as she was coming, back he went! I ran after him, picked him up, tried to calm him down, and turned around to ask Annabelle to get her things together. The problem? Annabelle was nowhere to be found! I looked everywhere; I sent men into the bathroom to search for her; I went in the bathroom to search for her; I started jogging around the splash pad looking everywhere, and I still couldn't find her. I started to feel real panic. The lump in my throat was bulging. I was about to start crying. I didn't know what to do or where to look next, as I had looked everywhere I thought possible. Luckily within a few seconds (after many silent prayers), the thought came to me: Go look in the car. It was clear enough that I didn't hesitate. I picked up my crazy crying Stockton and ran across the street to our car. I opened the back door and there she was, sitting in the back seat of the car. I could not believe it. She has never done that in her entire life; she even crossed the street by herself to get there. Feeling a mixture of relief, anger, and what if..., I buckled the 2 kids in their seats, ran back to grab the rest of our things, hopped in the car and cried the whole way home :) I haven't been able to go back since! Someday I'll go back, when I'm recovered emotionally from the trauma :)

I am so grateful for the voice of the spirit and answered prayers. I am so grateful she was safe. I am so grateful I didn't lose Stockton in the midst of trying to find her! I am so grateful she didn't get hit by a car when she crossed the street! I hugged and kissed the kids a few more times that night before tucking them into bed. What a rough day we'd had! Thank heavens it was over. Thank heavens for Heavenly Father's protection and love. I know the spirit spoke to me that day; I felt the prompting as clear as a loud voice from heaven. Annabelle has never in her life left me without saying anything; she has never crossed a street without me nearby, making sure she looks both ways; and she has never just headed to the car when it's time to go without waiting for me and Stockton. Heavenly Father prompted me through the spirit to look in the car because He knew I wouldn't have thought to look there on my own. We were so blessed.

Watch out little buddy: Annabelle is about to dump some cold water on you!

No comments: