Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Happy Mother's Day! I had a wonderful Mother's Day this year--it was perfect. We got up and attended church with my parents in my home ward. Stockton went right into nursery and had a blast! He loved playing with the dinosaurs, eating a buffet of healthy snacks (their ward had the most amazing nursery snacks I've ever seen), and completing a handprint craft for his mommy :) Annabelle did equally well in the primary class she visited. Her teacher was so welcoming and loving toward her, which I always appreciate as a mother. She even got to make 2 crafts for her mom during the 2nd hour of primary, including a cute little bookmark she drew, which was then laminated by the leaders and tied with several different ribbons--so cute! I think I'll use it forever. Relief Society was awesome! The RS President gave a brief, 10-minute lesson, showed a short video of Sister Hinckley talking about women and mothers at a Women's Conference (she was so cute and funny), then the brethren came in and served us lunch: Chicken salad croissants, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, truffles and bottled water. It was delicious and so nice! I think the kids and I felt spoiled :)

Following church, we headed over to my mom's to take a few pictures, eat lunch, and visit. We ended the day with a BBQ at Aaron and Kristy's house with the Bos family--such fun times hanging out, talking, laughing, and playing games! I feel so blessed to be a mother. Maybe that is why this is one of my favorite holidays of the year. I love being a mom. I love my mom and I love my grandma--women who have taught me more than anyone on this earth simply by being incredible examples. Because of them--their love and passion for motherhood--I have always wanted to be a mom. I can't ever remember wanting anything different. Now that I have two beautiful children here, I know and understand why they loved it and were devoted to it. It is the most rewarding thing on earth--there is no better feeling than watching your children grow, develop, make good choices, smile, laugh, and learn, knowing it is partly a result of your love and the things you have taught and shown them. Family is the single most important thing to me in this life. I love my family; I love Josh; I love Annabelle and Stockton. I never want to stop trying to do and be better for all of them. There is a quote in my patriarchal blessing that states "...it will be your sacred opportunity to enjoy every blessing associated with the Priesthood of God, which will encompass the blessings of the House of the Lord, to be sealed for time and eternity in a marriage to one who even now is being prepared for you, one who will honor his priesthood and bring to you the blessing of motherhood thus crowning you with all that you are here to accomplish. This will help you to stand firm in the gospel, to support those principles that are true, and to do all that you can to assist others in this work." Motherhood, to me, is a calling that I have been given in this life. I know if I do it to the best of my ability that it will bless me and others. I believe my children help me stand firm in the gospel; I believe they help me support true principles, and I believe being a mom helps us to be outward reaching--it teaches us to put others' needs above our own. It is such a sacred work.

I recently read the novel "Little Women." There was a quote I loved! I read it over and over, underlined it, read it to Josh, and never forgot it. It is about motherhood:
"This household happiness did not come all at once, but John and Meg had found the key to it, and each year of married life taught them how to use it, unlocking the treasuries of real home love and mutual helpfulness, which the poorest may possess, and the richest cannot buy. This is the sort of shelf on which young wives and mothers may consent to be laid, safe from the restless fret and fever of the world, finding loyal lovers in the little sons and daughters who cling to them, undaunted by sorrow, poverty, or age; walking side by side, through fair and stormy weather, with a faithful friend...and learning, as Meg learned, that a woman's happiest kingdom is home, her highest honor the art of ruling it not as a queen, but a wise wife and mother."


It is pretty challenging to get a picture with Stockton :) This is what Josh and I are doing all day long--chasing him. Haha. He didn't want to be held for a picture, so I tried to play with him in hopes of getting a smile :)


These pictures of my mom and Annabelle turned out so beautiful! I hope I can look half that good when I'm my mom's age! Annabelle gets all her great fashion intuition from my mom, and my mom just happens to be Annabelle's favorite person in the world! :)


Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: