Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

What a beautiful day! We lucked out with the weather this year, and actually got to stay in Smithfield for a few hours before returning home :) We missed having Josh with us this year, and I am pretty sure he missed being with us--business trips through the holidays are no fun. It was tricky trying to watch both kids playing in two different locations (separated by a river no less), but I wasn't the only wife who was husband-less for the day; there were actually 4 of us who were single moms for the day--thank goodness for Grandma and Papa right?! :)

The entire day was really great. Annabelle picked out a special flower for "Smith's" grave, and said how beautiful her grave was when we pulled in. I wish she could remember more, and I love that Smithfield provides me an amazing opportunity to remind her of Smith, to talk about what kind of person she was, to talk about how she can watch over her from Heaven, and to let her know how much Smith loves and misses her and her cousin Paige. For me, even amidst the kids running around, and talking with cousins, aunts, and uncles I haven't seen for a year, I still feel a twinge of emptiness as I walk down the hill to the graves; I really miss seeing her there waiting for all of us with a smile on her face. I miss her throughout the entire day we're there. I am sure she watches down on us and appreciates us being there; I am sure she is there with us in spirit; and I am sure she is watching all these little kids grow up too. Whenever Annabelle prays about Smith, she always says "I hope she can come back to earth soon." I tell her that Heavenly Father hears her prayers, and he does allow her spirit to be with us, to watch over us, and to help us from the other side.

Thanks for the lift Paige :)
Stocky loves his Papa!
Run Annabelle Run!
We stopped at Brittany's on the way home for some hot dogs and S'mores! Yum!
Annabelle is eating her specialty: "Smoked S'mores" (cooked by smoke alone) :)

1 comment: