Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Teaching Dance and Dancing!

I LOVE to dance! I LOVE teaching dance! I have been "out of dance" for a few years, and I honestly believed myself when I said I'd never set foot in a studio again. Why? It's a long story full of insecurities, self-serving teachers, and high peaks followed by low valleys. I can remember the day I quit--the feeling that a load of bricks was unloaded off my chest! Was it the wrong decision? Yes and no. I still believe I made the right decision to change my major--that's a no-brainer! I still believe I was ready to be done dancing at BYU--that too is a no-brainer! But was I ready to stop being a dancer? Probably not.
This past August I saw an ad in the local newspaper: "Creative Dance Teacher Needed." I missed dancing. I still felt like a part of me wanted to be connected to it all again. After all, I had danced for 15 years of my life! No wonder it still felt like a nagging part of me--"Hey! Listen to us! We're your dancing genes and we're rotting in here! Use us or lose us!" I knew when I saw the ad that if I was ever going to dance again this would be the perfect opportunity, especially given my long hiatus. I had been educated in modern dance, trained in modern dance, and I had assisted with BYU's creative dance program. I loved teaching the younger kids, and I knew I could still skip, jump, gallop, leap and slide like a seasoned pro, regardless of my hiatus! :) I made the call and the rest is history. I am now over the children's creative program and I am also substitute teaching a modern technique class while the instructor is on maternity leave. With hard work comes more work, right? Well it hardly feels like work (except when I'm planning lessons of course). But that is a small price to pay for the joy I feel when I go to class and dance with those beautiful, loving, innocent, and energetic children. I don't think anything can prepare you for the love you begin to develop for those you teach...or for those you serve for that matter. It is amazing.
...Which brings me to my current ponderment (yes that is a word): What can I do as a teacher to lift, inspire, and instruct in a lasting way? I don't want to simply teach skills and routines; I want to teach life and emotion and love and respect. I want to be an influence for good in their lives. Today I took a trip down memory lane and recalled a few of my favorite teachers. I tried to figure out what it was they did to permanently ensconce themselves in my mind and heart. Here's the little list of souvenirs I brought back from my "trip:"
Mr. Larson: 2nd grade. He taught me I should always hold on to my work until the report card was handed out! "Robyn, can I talk to you? I show here you've missed 10 assignments!" "What?!" I replied through crying eyes. "I have done all my assignments. I have them all in my backpack!" So I led him over to my navy blue "Marker" backback my dad got for me at the office, and I pulled them out one by one. Since then, I have kept everything handy until the grades are out!
Mrs. Westwood: 3rd grade. She taught me imagination and encouraged my naivete. "Our class will be taking a trip around the world!" She was taking us on "a trip around the world" to learn about different countries. I am sure you can picture the devastation that was my face when I showed up to school on "the day," and handed my passport to Mrs. Westwood at a makeshift gate in the hall. I'm pretty sure I even made it a point to bring some sunglasses! Mrs. Westwood also worked with me one-on-one in order to teach me to write left-handed, without turning my hand upside down :)
Mr. Burgoyne: 5th grade. He taught me to laugh at myself and not take things too seriously. Everyday I wore a red bow in my hair--I loved it! He nicknamed me "Robyn Red Bow," and for some reason it was endearing and affectionate...and I liked it.
Mrs. Springer: 9th grade. She taught me about Shakespeare!
Stacey Prince: Minerette instructor. She rose above cruelty, and because of her example I was able to rise above it as well. She taught me strength, poise, confidence, dedication, and perseverance.
Mrs. Bird: 10th grade English. She begged me to enroll in Honors English, believed in my abilities. I did not take her advice because "I didn't want the extra homework." I should've listened to her.
Jennifer Allen: Dance Company instructor. She taught me to believe in my abilities, and she saw my potential. She always rewarded hard work and dedication. She gave me freedom choreographically, and trusted my dedication to the company.
Mel Claridge: CDT director. Mel gave me a wake-up call! Because of Mel I actually began trying to dance better. He expected more from me than I had at the time, which led me to new places. He challenged me with his choreography. He inspired me with his music choices. He befriended me and everyone in our company in a lonely, big, college atmosphere. He showed me every day that he loved dancing. He gave me a spot on CDT, and then made me work to keep that spot. He taught me that things happen for a reason, even though that reason might not be favorable or understandable at the time. He taught me courage and forgiveness. He taught me to look inside myself, to question why I made the choices I did regarding dance. My fondest memories of dance can all be traced back to Mel, and to my CDT experience. Ironically, this was the time in my life when nothing (it seems) came easy, when I felt I was continuously fighting for something, and when I was called on to prove myself and my abilities. I could have allowed that to defeat me, to give up. But I didn't and I am grateful for those lessons.
Now for the request: I would love to hear about teachers you've had who made a lasting impact for good in your lives (I know we all have a few). Help me learn how to become a better teacher! Thanks!! :)

3 comments:

lishajeanne said...

I had a teacher that instilled confidence in me that was unbroken by the thoughts or actions of others. I was able to "survive" cruel friends who tried to make my life difficult through shear force of will and knowing who I was.

on another note, Luke is left handed and any tips you can give me would be great! So far he is writing straight, but it is hard for me to write with him. How do you do that?

Unknown said...

Hey Robyn!
It's so good to hear from you!
Look at your life!!! You go girl!
I've enjoyed reading and catching up a bit!
I'm not on facebook, but have found a few CDTers through blogging! Isn't it great? I love it!
Keep in touch!!!
And, tell Brit I say hi!

Mandi said...

Those BHS Dance Co. day were the best.