Thursday, October 2, 2008

Smells

I can remember the smell of Josh's cologne vividly! Why so vividly, you ask? Well (no offense baby) but he is prone to push the squirt button one too many times when getting ready for the day! It takes me back to the long, miserable, hot and heavy days of pregnancy. I say hot and heavy in the literal context of course! :) Every morning I would wake to the strong smell of Giorgio Armani's Acqua Di Gio. Better than bacon? Not exactly. One morning, during a particularly bad wave of nausea, I decided it was time to nip this in the bud. "Keep the cologne in your car from now on! No more spraying in the house!" So like a good and faithful husband, respecting the crazy needs of his pregnant wife, he transferred all cologne bottles to the Maxima, giving even more credibility to its nickname--The Sexima (due to its unnecessarily pimped-out interior and fancy rims, NOT because of activities inside)!
As I was getting ready to teach dance this morning, Annabelle was busying herself in my closet. She loves hanging out in my room with me as I'm getting ready! She picks up the shoes one by one, shows them to me, and comments on what she likes. She is especially drawn to anything with sequins! This morning she ventured over to Josh's side of the closet. Soon enough she found the Acqua Di Gio and his smell was permeating throughout the entire house, just like old times :)
Only this time my reaction was quite different! I picked her up, gave her a big kiss and told her thank you for bringing daddy's presence back into our house today. It was wonderful and made me miss him even more.
Aren't smells amazing? Their power! They can take us back to memories we didn't even know were hibernating in our minds. They can make us feel someone's presence, as if they were standing right next to us. I am so grateful Josh has a "scent!" And you might say I'm bringing sexy back from the Sexima and into the house where it belongs!

9 comments:

Doney Days said...

This made me tear up a bit Robyn. I don't know if you remember, but Dan and I dated our whole Senior year and for a year after, then he went on his mission for two years. He left me his bottle of cologne and every once in a while, I'd spray it (sometimes on my pillow, I know I'm silly). I love how smells can make you remember someone or a place or a situation that's happened in your life. I'm so glad you only have a few more months!

lishajeanne said...

What a sweet and fun memory, it not a little sad. Hang in there. He will be home before you know it. Seems like this time of year flies by so that will help.

Lori said...

Ahhh! That is sweet! I'd just spray it everywhere! I don't know how you stay positive! Truly, if you ever need anything- let me know!

PS. Did you notice all the little boys following behind Annabelle in Sacrament! It was hilarious!

jenny said...

Robyn - you are such a fantastic writer. You really are. I love your entries. I don't know what it is like having a little girl, but you sure make me wish I'll experience that one day.

ali-dot-e said...

Let's just say that when Josh does get back I will be staying away from the house and the car for a while;)

Katie said...

What an awesome story. I loved it and it was so sweet. I can't wait to see you and Annabelle!

Kristy said...

Ya know, I think this colonge does its job with only one tiny squirt! A lot of other colonges are so weak it requires a full spray, so that may be why he used more than needed. Travis did the same thing when he first got that colonge

FitNotQuitJess said...

It's really amazing what the power of smell can do! My husband and dad are both in the military too. Please call me if you need anything.

Sara J Low said...

Robyn- I somehow stumbled accross your blog. So cute!!! Your little girl is darling! I loved this post about 'smells'... So touching!

I hope you have a wonderful week!!!

Sara