Sunday, October 19, 2008

Boom...Incoming!









Last week Josh was sent on a mission. He arrived at a small base to spend the night, and by small I mean bunk beds and frozen food for meals! That's right, no Chow Hall! Josh and a few other men were outside when they heard a humming, followed by a BOOM! One man looked at Josh: "Incoming or outgoing?" Josh's reply? "Definitely incoming!" They began making their way to their equipment, when they again heard a humming, followed by a BOOM! This time it was closer. Josh rushed to put on his vest when he heard AND felt the humming, followed by a BOOM, and the ground shaking beneath him. They were being attacked by mortars! Josh explains it like this: "We didn't take it lying down! Well only at first to avoid shrapnel." :)

Within minutes the American soldiers began firing back. Josh couldn't see anything, but went to a location where he could see which direction the others were firing. Then he began firing as well. During the chaos, the sniper ran out of ammo, and Josh rushed to the tower to re-supply him. Josh described the machine gun as Extremely loud! Our American soldiers fought off the the bad guys with over 3000 rounds! To finish it off, a 500 lb. bomb was dropped--courtesy of an F-18. Yeah for the RED, WHITE AND BLUE!!! Thank you Josh--YOU are my American hero. I couldn't be more proud of your actions and your courage. I am honored and blessed to be married to such a wonderful MAN! Hoo-ah!

If you can even believe this, Josh went inside and hit the sack--fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow! He said he felt completely exhausted in every way. Still...if it were me, I'd be sitting up straight, listening for any and all noises, and firing my weapon on every spider, mouse, and alarm clock in the building :) It actually shouldn't surprise me that he fell asleep so quickly; there have been many nights when I have talked to myself in bed because he can't stay awake once he lies down! :)

The following morning they loaded up the HUMVEES and began their mission, only to discover the HUMVEES were too large to make it through the narrow, rocky terrain. In order to keep the antennas free from interference, Josh was using an axe to cut down branches and trees along the way! I told Josh: "Wow! You are twice the man you were four days ago!" His reply? "No Robyn, I am three times the man I was four days ago!" :)

Josh and I were so blessed this past week. We were both watched over and protected by our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful to have Josh as my husband. He is Amazing--a great source of strength and courage for me and for Annabelle. He is fighting every day for our freedom, for everything our country stands for. Many people tell me they don't know how I do it. I admit it is challenging and testing. But I have grown to love Josh more because of his selfless sacrifice for this country, for me, and for our daughter. To hear and learn of his bravery and dedication during life-threatening circumstances fills me with love, admiration and pride for the man I chose to marry. Deployment introduces you to aspects of your spouse's personality and character that you probably wouldn't have known otherwise. Josh is a stronger man, husband and father for being there. I am a stronger woman, wife and mother for being here. We are a stronger family because of our commitment to this great nation and our commitment to each other. It is a fight, but a fight worth fighting--and winning!

5 comments:

ali-dot-e said...

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Josh and to you for sacrificing so much for me. You are an amazing family!! Thanks for the stories

Kristy said...

Holy Crap. That actually doesn't even come close to what I'm thinking, but we will just leave it at that.

You guys are incredible. WOW!

I'm so glad he is safe for you.

Tashina said...

WOW!! I don't even know what else to say...

jacksonx03 said...

All in a day's work! Wow, I am suprised he told you so much detail! Mike and I both tend to leave out a lot. I prefer it that way when I am the storyteller but I wish Mike wasn't that way. I want his every detail!!! I think it's so good you are so upbeat and supportive of Josh as well. It definitely is difficult to be separated but for the couples who put forth the effort I think this will enrich the marriage!

lishajeanne said...

It never ceases to amaze me what a strong independent woman you are. I know I shouldn't but sometimes I still think of you as a teenager. But then again I think of myself that way most of the time and have to do a little reality check and think "when did we turn into adults with kids and responsibility?"