Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Close Calls

What a week!

My Car has been having issues for a while now, but I've been dreading getting it fixed. Nothing gets me more frustrated and stressed out than car problems, especially when my husband is gone and unable to deal with them for me :) On my way home from dance on Monday afternoon I was driving along SR-73 going 65 mph--the speed limit. I was approaching an intersection and the light had turned red. Two cars in front of me slowed to a stop, and as I pushed on my brakes to do the same, nothing happened--NOTHING! I slammed down on the brakes twice more and still nothing. In order to avoid slamming into them, I had to swerve into the oncoming traffic lane, run the red light, swerve back to the correct side of the road, and then coast to a stop. Miraculously there wasn't anyone in the oncoming lane and I made it through the red light without hitting anyone. Even more miraculously I didn't have Annabelle with me, and she was safe and sound with my mom at my house. After finally stopping I jogged back to the intersection, called my mom, then jogged to try and meet her halfway. AHHHHH! So scary!
Luckily I have a 2nd car because Josh is gone! However it's not insured or registered. I called and had it insured, then went to get it inspected and it FAILED! I headed to the Nissan dealership and what do you know? Not only is some crazy valve needing a replacement, but the brakes were just about ready to go! Two broken cars needing massive repairs! Just my luck, right? Actually I've had amazingly great luck, a.k.a blessings, throughout this whole ordeal!
1: I didn't have Annabelle with me!
2: I had a feeling I should wear my Skechers instead of my flip-flops to dance that day. Thankfully I was able to jog the distance from my car to the gas station, and from the gas station to my mom without difficulty.
3: Because I was coming from dance class, I was already warmed-up for a jog.
4: It happened on a Monday when my mom was with Annabelle and able to help (Tuesdays and Thursdays Annabelle is with a neighbor).
5: It happened during the day, rather than night!
6: It didn't happen at the previous intersection, which would've undoubtedly ended in an accident. For you locals I'm talking about the intersection with Smith's and Walgreen's. Phew!
7: Brittany was still in the hospital with Daisy, which freed-up my mom to watch Annabelle while I took the Maxima to get inspected and to the dealership (Brittany had a c-section, and my mom will need to be with her every day for 2 weeks...starting today, NOT Monday).
8: My brother-in-law, Brad, has towing equipment, AND had the night off!
9: My dad was in town (he's usually out of town 3 days out of the week).
10: I ended up needing a ride back to my mom's from the dealership, and Josh's mom was working 5 minutes away, and immediately left to come get me.
11: It's UEA this week, and therefore I have an entire week off from dance. Because I don't have anwhere I "need" to be, I now have the freedom and the time to get the car repairs done.
12: Josh and I have saved for a rainy day, and I have the money I need to get this taken care of.
13: Because of my mad negotiation skills and assertiveness (learned and perfected while working as a collector in the Charge-off dept. of Discover Card), I negotiated the mechanic from $968 down to $390! I'm still pretty amazed I have to admit. It took 2 days and 3 phone calls, all lasting at least 20 minutes, in order to achieve this feat! I'll not be ripped off :)
14: I have an AMAZING family and ward friends offering to help wherever they can. Thank you so much mom, Brad, Dad, and mom Bos! And thanks Brittany for giving up mom for a couple of days when she could've been at the hospital holding and feeding cute little Daisy! I am surrounded by the most selfless people you'll ever meet.
14: Thank you to my Heavenly Father for watching over and protecting me and Annabelle this week.
15: Thank you to my Heavenly Father for watching over and protecting Josh this week! While we were fighting our battle here, Josh was fighting quite a different battle in Afghanistan. More to come...

9 comments:

Kristy said...

Holy Crap! It is so nice to know there are angels among us. Anyway, if you ever have brake problems again, Call me! Travis will do them. And heck ya for getting that mechanic down!

Mandi said...

Wow, what an intense story. I'm so glad you didn't have Annabelle. Two years ago, I rolled my 4Runner with Isaac. It was awful. Luckly we walked away with minor injuries.

lishajeanne said...

I hate car problems. I think Heavely Father knows you have enough to deal with being "single" so he tries to give you a break with the other stuff. Glad you are ok!

Amy Mitchell said...

Hey Robyn! It's Amy Mitchell! Your little girl is so darling and tell Brittany Congrats! Daisy is so sweet! I'm glad you made it through your crazy week!

Nikki said...

Man, what a scary event. I am glad that you weren't hurt. I am always here to help drive you around Miss Daisy... (lol, not saying your a 80 year old lady). Lots of love!!

Al said...

Wow! You need to buy a lottery ticket.

Sarah said...

So glad everything turned out alright!

ali-dot-e said...

You must be doing something right!! Keep it up! We missed you at Pumpkinland today, I should have called I had extra room!!

McCuistion Family said...

hey thanks for writing on my blog! i didnt know you had one! I love it!