Friday, March 12, 2010

March Books!

"Families are Forever...If I Can Just Get Through Today"
Janice Madsen Weinheimer

I can't find a picture of its cover, but this book is a MUST for all mothers! I don't think it's in publication today (published in 1980), but there are several copies on sale at Amazon for as little as a penny! Also...to give it a little more clout, it was recommended in a 1980 Ensign article titled "Books for Latter-day Saints." It was listed as one of only five recommended books for "parents and marrieds."

Now...on to the good stuff! This book has literally changed my life, and taught me SO much about homemaking, mothering, scheduling, planning, raising children, productivity, etc. Next to my own mother and an adorable little angel named Annabelle, this book has taught me the most about the wonderful season of life I'm in. Coincidentally my mother is the one who insisted I read it, and therefore found and purchased it for me (does that mean she gets the credit for what it taught me too)? Probably :)

I just finished reading for the THIRD time! Yes you read that right, and yes I think I'm finally catching on and learning what I need to :) As I was reading it through this time, I read it as an instruction manual (with pen and notebook by my side the entire time) ready to take notes of the practices/hints/ideas I wanted to implement into my own life. The author is nuts and accomplishes more than I (or you) will ever need or want to in any given day, which is why I pick and chose those things which I felt would make the most positive changes in my life. She has 9 children! Not only does she have 9 children, but included in those 9 children are a set of triplets and 2 sets of twins! I suppose that's why she has some clue on how to successfully manage and take care of a household :) I learned a lot about scheduling and planning, yet the greatest knowledge I will come away with is her parenting and teaching styles. She just makes A LOT of sense when it comes to parenting and raising children and teens--common sense. Sometimes I think we look for the unknown tricks and secrets of having good kids when common sense and intuition always work best. She does a great job of teaching common sense approaches to life and children--actual approaches that even I can handle and feel good about.

It was challenging to find my "favorite quotes" because I have favorite sections and favorite stories instead. But for the sake of this post, I will copy down a few quotes.

"That is what life is all about. The joys and satisfaction that come from raising a family simply cannot be measured. Many a night we fall into bed thoroughly exhausted, but it's worth it. When they begin to leave home is really the only difficult time. We hope and pray as they go out into the world that we've done a thorough job--one that would be pleasing to their Heavenly Father. Has their training been sufficient? Has it been deep enough...? Only time will tell."

"The days when I read and studied the gospel and took time to have my private prayers were my better days. I had more patience and more love, and the things in my household ran much more smoothly. I was also able to accomplish more. By spending some time in gospel study and prayer each day, you will be able to accomplish more and have a better attitude."

I love this book!

No comments: