Monday, March 29, 2010

Have I Done Any Good?



I love this video clip. It reminds me what truly matters and what truly makes us happy.

Last night Annabelle woke up at 4:00am and I could hear her gagging. I went into her room and she was throwing up--lying down! She had vomit coming out the sides of her mouth and was having a hard time getting air. I sat her up so she could get it out as easily as possible. It was so scary. From there, we began a process: Take a bath, brush her teeth, dress her in clean PJ's, change the bedding, rock, go back to sleep. This process was repeated over and over and over again for a little over 4 hours. Needless to say we were all exhausted!

Nevertheless it reminded me of something very important--the fulfillment that comes from service. As I rocked her and took care of her I was overcome with love and concern for her and her well-being. Immediately after she had finished throwing up the first time, I wrapped her in a blanket and held her tightly against me for a few minutes, telling her it was okay and that I loved her. It wasn't until I got up that I realized her vomit had gotten all over me, and we were both a mess! And it didn't matter. We got cleaned up and nestled down in the rocking chair. It was then that I realized why I felt so much love, fulfillment and joy in the midst of being beyond tired--it was the result of serving and helping someone else, of forgetting myself and immersing all thought and action into the care and well-being of someone I love. It's funny because everything logical and rational would tell you that performing this type of service for someone else, even your own child, can be pretty disgusting, stinky, messy, and exhausting. And I suppose it's all of those things when I think back on it. The irony is that through acts of service, however difficult to stomach, we will draw closer to those we serve, and feel even MORE LOVE for them than we did before. Isn't Heavenly Father amazing for being able to bless us with those feelings? I know and have felt many times that the people we serve receieve a little help, but that WE are the ones who are served MOST, that our spirits and character are strengthened, lifted up to fulfillment and content.

Each time I serve, I seem to tell myself I need to do it more, yet I have allowed the hustle and bustle of everyday life to crowd out these desires and intentions way too many times. Because of this, and because of my experience with Annabelle last night, I am going to make service a family goal for April. I am excited to begin this week! At the close of each day, and at the end of the month, we can ask ourselves "Have I done any good?" And hopefully the answer will always be "Yes!"

PS: Annabelle is on the mend and we are having a WONDEFRUL day at home together.

No comments: