Monday, October 19, 2009

Semi-Homemade with Robyn Elyse

Whats the PERFECT recipe for a sick day? Grandma Smith's homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with a few Lion House rolls on the side! With Annabelle and I slightly under the weather, I thought this meal would be just the trick-or-treat to reverse the sick spell we've been under. And while I don't LOVE cooking from 3:30 through dinner time, it just so happens that I LOVE the results of this time commitment...A LOT! I've decided to make one meal per week entirely from scratch. If you have any favorite homemade recipes, send them my way! Me and Anna-Banana-Belle would love to add them to our menu! And from Smith's kitchen to mine to yours, here's the Smith family SECRET recipe to Chicken Noodle Soup! Enjoy...and SHARE. It makes A LOT of soup!


Put one whole chicken (about 3 lbs), 1 sliced onion, and 1 tsp Salt in LARGE pan. Cover with COLD water about 2 inches above the chicken. Bring to a boil until done (about 90 minutes).

Can you see that little chicken under those onions?
Peel and cut 2 lbs carrots and 6 stalks of celery, then cut them up into bite-sized pieces. Put in a different pan, cover with water, and boil until veggies are tender. Do NOT drain.
When chicken is done, remove from broth into a colander and cool. Discard the skin and bones, and make bite-sized pieces with the remainder of the chicken. Put the chicken, veggies (with water) back into the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add 2 packages (8 oz) Kluskei noodles. Boil until noodles are done, then add Wylers Granules (chicken flavor) 1 Tbsp at a time until it has the chicken flavor you like. Add pepper to taste! Sorry there is a lack of photos during those last few steps--I had to save Annabelle's fish from certain death--See below.
I bought the Lion House Roll Mix from the Lion House Pantry, and simply followed the directions on the package. Nevertheless I still believe they can be counted as semi-homemade :)

Pumpkin shapes to add some festive fun

How to Almost kill a fish:
Act like you have NO bad intentions whatsoever, pretend like the Fun-Dip is the best thing you've ever tasted, discreetly dump the entire bowl of sugar in the fish bowl while mom has her back turned, stir VIGOROUSLY with a metal Cinderella spoon (this part's REALLY funny because the fish will swim and dodge that spoon SO fast he'll look like a blur), then laugh and watch as the fish slows down from a sugar-induced coma, and lastly...do it more quiet than Annabelle did so your mom doesn't catch you and reverse all aforementioned efforts to kill the darn thing!

Awwwww FINALLY the reward of my efforts! It was, dare I say, DELICIOUS!
UPDATE: Team Annabelle and Mommy VS Team Germs
Team Annabelle and Mommy: 6
Team Gerns: 5
Yahoo!!!

4 comments:

ali-dot-e said...

That is yummy and funny! I am stealing it, the recipe not the fun dip in the fish bowl, although I have killed my share of fish! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

Wow! You get the mother of the year award for sure!! Chicken noodle soup, rolls and saving a fish's life you go girl! I always love reading your blog! I'm going to have to try that recipe. Thanks!!

Nikki said...

Look how cute the rolls are! I love it. We too are having homemade chicken soup tonight for dinner. Nothing chases away the ickies like soup. Get better!!

jacksonx03 said...

I am proud of you! I wish I could conquer a roll, I don't do very well in the baking department.