Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Smithfield 2010

Each year on Memorial Day, we head up to Smithfield, UT for a Smith family reunion (my mom's side of the family). We all meet at the Smithfield Cemetary to put flowers on the graves, then head over to a nearby park where we enjoy a delicious pot luck, visit with cousins, aunts and uncles, and watch all the kids play in the playground. It's a wonderful tradition that I've always loved.

My cousins and I were always very close growing up, even though they lived in Pocatello. We visited A LOT, and I have many fond memories of all us girls choreographing dances out on the lawn and in my grandma's basement, playing in the treehouse and out in the orchard, playing night games with the neighbor kids, and eating delicious meals, ice cream cones and frozen cookies at grandma's house. Smithfield has evolved over the years, and each year brings new experiences. I remember the talent shows we'd have, with everyone coming prepared to show-off their latest routines. This was usually followed by fun times in the playground and a water fight to finish it off. For a few years we'd all enjoy a fun game of baseball together, with my dad bringing enough mits, bats, and balls for over half the family! Some years have been beautiful; some have been so rainy and cold we'd have to leave after spending only 1 hour together! But that never mattered--you NEVER missed!

For as long as I can remember, my grandma has been there; I don't think she ever had to miss due to illness or travel etc. It was her time to see her entire family, to visit her family's graves, and later her husband's grave. She always reserved our pavilion at the park, and brought the chicken for everyone to eat. It's funny because many of the recipes shared in our pot luck are grandma's recipes, but here she was in charge of ordering the KFC! Ha ha :)

This year was different from any previous year thus far in my life. Grandma "Smith" passed away in September. It was empty without her there, and I'd often look over to where her chair was usually set up, half-expecting to see her sitting there smiling with a blanket over her. It was surreal going to the cemetary to visit her grave, and reading "Smith" on the tombstone, as if that were destined to be her little nickname in the later years of her life. It seems so fitting. I know every tombstone has the last name carved into it, but when I look at hers, it feels more special and tender. I hope she was there on Monday--I feel that she was. When Paige, Annabelle, and Daisy sat on her grave, my initial instinct was to get them off, but as they sat there, the feeling came to me that Smith would've been ok with that, that she would be happy to have those 3 little girls so close to her again--on her lap so to speak :) I wish they could've had her around for a little while longer. Annabelle and I were having a little talk in her bed the night before Smithfield. We were remembering Smith, her house, the fun toys she always had for her, Paige and Daisy to play with, the "picnics" on her coffee table, the famous M&M candy jar, always full and waiting for them, and the loves and kisses Smith always gave as we were leaving. The next day Annabelle was certain we'd see her, and that she'd give her M&M's and candy at her grave :) It was cute. I love having these little heart-to-hearts with Annabelle. She has an AMAZING memory and understanding for her age.

This year was wonderful. It felt good to be there, to be there continuing the tradition that meant so much to her throughout her life. It was good to see my cousins again, the weather was BEAUTIFUL, it felt sombering yet peaceful, and when I see the kids making up dances together on the lawn, everything feels full circle. Time goes by way too fast, but I am so grateful our children are experiencing this little slice of tradition and fun. I hope it never stops!

The Bos Family: I'm 36 weeks pregnant!
Annabelle Alyse
Annabelle and Daisy: BFF's when apart, RIVALS when together!

Paige, Annabelle and Daisy saying hi to Smith

Hanging with a new crowd! These are Annabelle's 2nd cousins: Brittany, Emma and Ila

Tiny Tot Baseball! Thanks Ashley for helping Annabelle through her 1st game! She had SO much fun, and was a little addicted to you after she played :)

What a WONDERFUL Memorial Day!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Annabelle looks really grown up in these pics. I'm glad that you guys had a good time!! Four more weeks!! Whoot-whoot!

lishajeanne said...

It was a little strange huh? I loved seeing everyone...promise you will still come every year! I will be there for sure!

Beth at Aunties said...

It is a small world! Your aunt Wendy and I are the same age. So is Mindi! My maiden name is Cheryl Jenks and I go by Beth on my blog, which was my own beloved grandmother's name.
I loved reading your memories about your grandma and the wonderful person she must have been.
I remember Wendy's beautiful skin and bubbly personality. We were in Pep Club together while Allyn cheered!
We love Josh! You are married to a wonderful man... who we have always respected and literally looked up to.
Good luck and have a safe delivery.
Mindi told us in RS how Annabelle already knew Nikki was also going to have another baby. Out of the mouth of precious, innocent babes:)
~♥