Friday, January 22, 2010

Christmas Day

It has become a tradition to sleepover at my parents' house on Christmas Eve. It's fun, of course, but it's also very logical! We spend Christmas Eve with the Bos family, and usually end up staying pretty late--we just can't help ourselves because it's so fun, so yummy and so exciting! This means that we roll into my parents' house around 10pm (last year when Josh was deployed I actually took Annabelle to my parents' house at 7:30 to put her down for bed, then went back to the Bos house and hung out til 11:30)! Luckily--and conveniently--our parents live only 8 minutes apart. When we arrive at my parents' house, we set out our presents and get all giddy and excited when we see everyone's gifts under the tree. Because there are 3 families, plus my parents, it's always a wonderful sight. It reminds me of the Christmas mornings I spent at my Grandma's house in Pocatello, ID with all my cousins. There were always so many presents under the tree on Christmas morning! With 12+ grandkids it was never lacking in excitement, awe, and fun. The real fun part was packing everything up to come home, and reminding everyone which presents belonged to whom. Ha ha :)

Once Josh and I got Annabelle settled in her bed, we crawled into bed and exchanged stockings. I always get too excited to wait until Christmas morning for everything, so exchanging stockings on Christmas Eve was something we could both agree to. Then off to sleep in the wonderful bed with the wonderful mattress pad that I can't find at any store, or any website in the entire world, no matter how hard I try--It's Heavenly, and quite a treat to stay in, even makes illness seem a little more bearable. Christmas morning came early, but it was fun. Daisy (my youngest niece) wasn't really thrilled to be up that early, but Paige and Annabelle were very excited! Paige enjoyed pointing out Annabelle's presents to her, almost as much as she enjoyed opening her own. "Annabelle look what you got!" "Santa brought that for you!" "Look! Santa brought me Princesses and you Tinkerbell!" "Oh that's so cute!" Annabelle got a play kitchen and apron, as well as a stuffed Sid (Ice Age) and a stuffed Blaze (Tinkerbell). She was set! Happy as can be! She LOVES Sid and Blaze, just another example of how funny and unique this little girl can be :) The rest of the day was spent playing, napping, playing, eating, playing, talking, reading...ya know, those wonderful things we never have enough time for?! It was fantastic, and so much more fun being surrounded by family.

When I was young I used to dread the day I would be a parent on Christmas morning, but holy smokes! Being a parent on Christmas morning is the BEST! I LOVE it more than anything. I have so much joy in Annabelle's excitement and happiness that it makes the entire season more special and meaningful. This season felt so busy, and I'm sure it won't slow down as the babies keep coming. But it's my hope that I can slow down more next year, and enjoy each moment before it's gone. These kids grow up too fast! I love Christmas. I love the spiritual feelings and emotions that are the root and reason for everything being so special during this time. I love my Nielsen, Simpson family, Josh and Annabelle. I look at these pictures an get emotional because I know there will be a day when I look back on these as just the beginning of us, our family, our life together, our Christmas history and story :) Next Christmas there will be another Bos baby, as well as a brand-new Nielsen baby (my brother and sister-in-law are also expecting). It won't be long before it's Christmas morning at Grandma's with 12+ grandkids! It makes me excited for the future and so thankful for the present--for it's simplicity, coziness, and intimacy. I absolutely adored my Christmas season with our little family of three, and it is my hope to enjoy every single last moment before we expand. Holidays with family are such a great opportunity to revel in these feelings and in the closeness. Merry Christmas 2009!

Wow! Where's a 4-yr old to begin?!
Who's idea was it to get up at 7:30?


Sid--The 1st thing Annabelle grabbed

I got Sid!

I love Sid and Blaze so much!

Fawn and Terrance--my favorite Tinkerbell friends

Annabelle got some new Tinkerbell panties, and needed them on right away :)

Josh joked that "All of our pictures are going to be of Annabelle showing Grandma her presents!" I had to include one, in order to tell a true story of the day. As soon as a gift was unwrapped, off she went to show Grandma!

Testing out the new apron and licking a sucker--she loves these little bottle suckers

No comments: