Friday, August 7, 2009

My Little Gymnast

Annabelle has been taking classes at The Little Gym this summer. She loves it, and is actually quite good :) I think it's from all those playground hours we're logging! The Little Gym has been a fun place for her, a place where she can climb, fall, explore, and jump using different equipment and obstacles from normal life. She's always full of energy, and is always wanting to do her own thing...which, to be honest, is more than ok with me.

Every class begins with the kids getting bells out of the bucket for themselves and for mom. Then we sit and sing the welcome song, introduce ourselves, etc. Annabelle is so nice to get me some bells, but then she immediately takes off for the low bar to hang and swing away. Ha ha :) I can't help but laugh. I have become quite accustomed to "warming up" by myself while she warms up in her own way (i.e. running, hanging from the bars, speed walking through the parallel bars, etc). The teacher encourages her to return to the group a few times throughout the warm up, but who really wants to walk in a circle when you can get a head start on practicing tricks? I can't blame her. She's just a Busy, Busy girl, and rarely stops for anything.

She has been learning new things as well. She'll usually try the "skill of the week" twice, sometimes more if it doesn't involve flipping while mom spots (I'm am the world's WORST spotter, so I oftentimes offer up Annabelle as the guinea pig for the teacher demonstration because I feel so darn uncomfortable spotting a 2-yr old! Call me crazy). She can do a forward roll, and she has just recently gained enough courage to get on the beam. Yahoo! Now she calls curbs and retaining rock walls "Beams." It's amazing how walking on those "Beams" has helped her conquer her fear of the real thing!

All in all, we've enjoyed going and trying new things. I think it's helped her develop better coordination and balance, as well as jumping skills (well...the jumping skills could be due to "Jumping Judy" from The Doodlebops--Annabelle SO loves her)! As for the social interaction, Annabelle has always loved other kids, and I've been too busy watching her and laughing that I can't even tell you who's in our class--so much for making new friends! Oh well, there's always time for that later :)
LOVES the bars!!
She's already trying to pull her legs up to the bar!

Speed walking through the parallel bars

They don't introduce the rings in her class--Obviously! Yet every week she makes her way over there and looks around, wondering if today will be the day.

She LOVES kicking, throwing and rolling the balls. She's always really giddy and giggly during this portion of class :)

Such creativity

Bubble time! Check out her upward focus and openness through the sternom! Makes my heart swell with pride :)

Playing with the toys after class. "Vroom Vroom!!"








7 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my goodness that is so precious! She is such a cutie I love it!

FitNotQuitJess said...

she is so stinkin cute...I SO need to get Jerimiah into a class but I can't do it during all this contruction, I would lose my head!

ali-dot-e said...

Love it!! She is too cute. She looks like a professional already. Good job mom!!

Lori said...

Adorable! She is so funny too- today at church was the funniest thing ever! BYE BYE! I will laugh about that all day!

Nikki said...

We LOVED the Little Gym. I'm glad that she is loving it and learning so much.

Tashina said...

She is so cute, Robyn! Way to get her started early so that she can be just like her mama! :)

sjmiller said...

A girl after my own heart! I LOVE the bars. It was my best event, and my favorite. She is such a cute little gymnast!