Thursday, January 29, 2009

Uncluttered

My home organization project is almost complete! The only task remaining is the trip to the storage unit, but hey...at least now there is a storage unit to take a trip to! I can't believe how much better I feel. It's truly amazing what a little bit of organization can do for you. I think I've actually read self-help books that advise organizing a drawer, a shelf, etc. when you feel low. So imagine the positive benefits of organizing many drawers, closets and a few rooms! I have also noticed Annabelle's mood begin to improve too--maybe a coincidence, but I'll take it either way. Once I got started, I could not believe how much stuff needed to be thrown out and packed up. No wonder I felt as though my walls were closing in on me! 15 bags of trash, a trip to DI, and half a deck's worth of storage later, I'm feeling like a new woman with everything under control :)
Now on to a few minor improvements in the decor! I've framed a few pictures of Annabelle for the hallway, I am going to attempt sewing curtains for the office, and I'm going to paint a couple shelves for the office and Annabelle's room. I'm not really shooting for domesticity, but more for INEXPENSIVE! I've decided to have a military theme for the office. Josh already has a lot of stuff that he has received as gifts, awards, certificates, keepsakes, etc. I think it'll be a nice place to honor his service and sacrifice. Plus it's all right here, and requires NO shopping or spending! Thank goodness.
I got a haircut yesterday, and I actually really like it. It's shorter than I've ever had it (it touches right above my shoulders when it's curled), but it's so quick and low-maintenance, how can I not be satisfied? I told the hairdresser to thin it out--A LOT! She did, and then I told her to just take out more. I mean, no one is going to notice if I get rid of half my hair--and that's a true story! Plus...I'm pretty sure there was at least a pound of hair on the floor when we were done, which helps me in my weight loss goal. And to think I was just sitting down the whole time I was losing--AWESOME!
Annabelle has been so cute lately; I absolutely LOVE the stage she is in right now! She babbles and babbles and babbles! Sometimes in the morning, we'll have conversations lasting 20 minutes! She's also started using hand gestures as she "talks," which cracks me up. I know the nurse said she should have 5-10 words right now, and blah...blah...blah, but as I watch her walk around babbling and making all kinds of different sounds, I can't help but love it. I am starting to realize that this stage is adorable, and I don't need to wish time away, or wish her to be further along with her vocabulary. She will get there, and I need to savor where she is today! I will let the doctor tell me if she needs further help when she gets older. I have also changed her schedule, and she is now taking only one nap (thanks for all your advice)! I can't believe how much easier it is! And to think I was dreading it! I LOVE it! So much more flexibility.
The best news of all? Josh will be home in a month! Yes, I can count the number of weeks on one hand (as Allison pointed out)! I am very excited, as is he (I'm sure you can imagine)! He and I are planning a 3-night getaway to Vegas almost right ater he gets home, and I can't tell you how excited I am. I am nervous about leaving Annabelle! Since Josh has been gone, I've only been away from her overnight and never for more than 24 hrs. But I know how important it is for he and I to re-connect, and to be husband and wife again. Adjusting back into life as a family is one thing, and adjusting back into a marriage is another thing. They both need "time" and attention, and we feel it's important to take some time together soon after he returns. Josh says as soon as I get to Vegas I'm going to miss being a mom, and the truth is he's probably right. I love Annabelle, and I love being her mom. I LOVE spending time with her! And I know thoughts of her will probably eat me alive while I'm there. But I also know I haven't been a "wife" for an entire year, and both Josh and I have grown and changed during this time. In some respects I feel like an entirely different person from when he left, only because of what I've been through, what I've learned and re-learned about myself. He has been through life-threatening situations and life-changing situations, and I know he is not unchanged. With that said, I realize the importance of getting away and getting to know one another again before we atempt to re-start up our lives together. But...I'll probably be calling my mom, telling her to catch the red-eye to Vegas with Annabelle, so I don't crumble to pieces! :)

4 comments:

ali-dot-e said...

Fun! I love decorating and reorganizing, good for you! I never thought about having to reconnect with someone afer they come home from service, but now hearing you say it it is absolutlely true. I think Vegas will be a good get away for you two and Annabelle will be just fine. Love you Robyn!

jenny said...

You go girl!!! Way to go Robyn. I hope you don't feel wired about feeling nervous to leave Annebelle. She has been your life for a year. That has been your role for a year. That is the role your probably most comfortable with right now. But your awsome, its a great idea to get away and reconnect.

lishajeanne said...

Vegas will be awesome! Annabelle will be fine without you. Try not to worry about her. She will never even remember that you were gone. Have a great few more weeks!

Sarah said...

Requesting photos of the new doo...