Friday, August 26, 2011

Annabelle's 1st Dance Recital: "12 Dancing Princesses"

Goofing around with dad before leaving
All the angles  :)  Her hair turned out so pretty!

So excited and looking BEAUTIFUL!
Getting a little nervous before deciding to join the group (top right), then joining in and warming up with Michael ("Derek") and the dancers.

Wow! What a fun experience! This was my last semester teaching dance, and though I will miss my students (especially the girls I have had for the past 3 1/2 years), I have been pretty excited to move on from this chapter of my life. Dance--and teaching dance--will always be a part of me, and has been the source of so many wonderful memories! This last semester I took a step back and choreographed only one soloist piece for the show--a small group of 3-6 yr. old little girls. Annabelle was taking dance classes with Tanner Dance @ the University of Utah, but I thought it would be fun for her to be in this particular dance (since I was going to be teaching and choreographing it). She was SO excited and had a ball coming to the studio with me, meeting a whole new group of dancer friends, packing a lunch box for rehearsals, and performing on the "big stage" for her family and cousins. It was fun to share the experience with her, especially on show day! We woke up and ran errands such as picking up flowers and treats for my dancers, then making extra script and show order copies. Then we came home and assembled treat bags for my dancers, packed our water and snacks, curled our hair, and did our makeup.  She was so excited to get there, put on her costume, and see her cousins!
Just prior to the warm up, Annabelle started getting really nervous: she said she didn't know if she could do it, that she was dizzy, and that her tummy hurt. I'm so glad I got to be there with her backstage to talk to her and calm her down. I told her that always happened to me when I was about to go on stage, but that I was just really excited and nervous, that it would go away as soon as I was on stage performing. She believed me, and I motioned for Michael to come get her so I could sneak away and leave her with her group. She was so CUTE! As soon as the curtain opened and Michael began moving their group to the front of the stage for the opener, I heard her yell into the audience: "Paige and Daisy are you out there? I can't see!" They let her know they were there. Mimi, Nikki, Liv, daddy, Stockton, Grandma, and Brittany were also all there to cheer her on!
She did WONDERFUL! Just as I suspected, as soon as the music began, she danced and had a great time! It was so fun to watch her come off stage, and ask if she could go out there and do it again  :)  The opener was a good warm up for her, and when it was time for her little dance, she ran out there with no fear whatsoever and performed GREAT! It was a wonderful night! The show went great, I was proud of my classes, and I felt that it was the perfect way to end that phase of my life!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I am so jealous of her hair!!! Poor Livie totally has my ghetto hair. Annabelle has your gorgeous hair! SO SO SO lovely!

FitNotQuitJess said...

She is so beautiful! What a wonderful little princess you have!