Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I'm thankful for Josh

I just wrote a post on Sunday, but I couldn't resist sitting down to express my gratitude for my husband, Josh, on Veteran's Day! I actually just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago, and he mentioned that his base had come under mortar attacks yesterday. Thankfully he is ok. When I hear news like that it feels very surreal. I am not the type of person to worry; I have faith that he will be protected. Our family life has just begun, and we have much to look forward to in the future!
Rather than dwell on the attack, I'd like to instead express my thanks for him and his service to our country. There are so many things I admire and love about Josh, and his military service has always been close to the top of the list. Here's an actual list of reasons I love him, reasons I married him, and reasons I had a baby with him :)

*I love hearing about everything he is doing in the military; it is all very manly and courageous, which is probably why it cranks up his good looks even more :)
*When I met Josh I was surprised with how nice and personable he was. We were on the same team at Discover Card and he was friends with everyone on the team--no matter who he sat by on any given day, he'd find something in common with them.
*He is a great listener, and lets me talk his ear off in the car and on the phone. I often find myself saying, "Sorry I just rambled on and on and on!" He'll just say, "That's why I called." Awwww sweet.
*He is active and loves the outdoors. I can't tell you how nice it is to have someone to hike with! We both love the mountains in Utah. And we both appreciate a good sweat session!
*He loves to read about a variety of different subjects. I was an English major, and it's wonderful being able to speak to someone who has an appreciation for books.
*He is a gentleman. He always opens my door for me and pumps my gas; he calls me during the day from work just to say he's thinking of me; he always makes me wear my seat belt; he buys me romantic birthday and Valentine gifts; he offered to take the night shift with Annabelle so I could sleep; he never holds back the kisses, and he pulls the chair out for me at restaurants! Even after dating for two years, I don't think I ever picked up the bill (except on our "Super Secret Date" I planned when he was on leave from Iraq).
*He supports me in my personal life. If I want to stay at home with Annabelle, he says I can quit teaching dance at any time. If I want to continue teaching, he supports me, fills me with confidence, and says, "I know they love you over there, but remember I love you more."
*He is a very private person--not to be confused with shyness. He is not shy. Like I mentioned earlier, he'll talk to anyone and everyone. But he retains a certain mystery about him. We have been married over two years, and have known each other for about seven. I am still learning new things about him!
*He knows how to cook! He comes from a family of cooking masters. Anyone who knows me knows I don't cook. The desire is slowly making its way to the surface, but I'm sure once Josh gets home and I'm reminded of all the things he can't eat, it'll quickly go back into hiding :)
*He is AMAZING with babies! I can actually remember the day I saw him hold a baby for the first time; I had never seen a man hold a baby like that! When we had Annabelle, he was overcome with emotion and wouldn't let her out of his arms. Both of our families were standing in the hospital room waiting for a turn to hold her, but he was not going to give her up. I remember talking to him the next morning. I said, "Josh, people are here to see and hold Annabelle. You need to let other people have a turn!" He was oblivious: "Am I being a baby hog?" He totally didn't even realize it :)
*He is kind and respectful to my family. I never had any doubts they would get along well, but it is still something I'll always love about him. I love that he seems to genuinely care about their lives.
*He is a great leader. This month Josh's Team Leader was re-stationed to a different part of Afghanistan. Josh is taking his place, and will lead 9 men. I know he will do well. I have already heard the men are excited about the change.
*He is smokin' hot! I am especially smitten with his height, hands, biceps, triceps, cheek bones and jawline :) And his eyes are captivating as well.
*He talks to himself in the car. He doesn't do it out loud, but when he is having a "conversation" in his head, he sometimes gives himself away by making a hand gesture and/or head nod. I die laughing each time this happens! I LOVE it!
Well, I could go on and on all day. I am so glad I married him, and that he is Annabelle's father. I know how much he loves her, and how much he can't wait to be here with her. He and I broke up once during the dating years, and I am so thankful he came back to me! There have been two times I've had to take Josh to the hospital for random things, and both times I was struck by how much I love him. Seeing the man I love, lying on a hospital bed, not seeming like himself was really hard. I would absolutely die if I ever lost him...which is why I don't ponder those types of thoughts during this deployment. I will love him forever, and I only look forward to happier times ahead. We have so much growing to do together, so much to look forward to as a family. I can't imagine going through it with anyone else! I love you Joshua Shane. Happy Veteran's Day, and thank you for your service to this country!

2 comments:

Al said...

We are thankful for Josh too! And for the fact that he has you! You are such an amazing supportive wife, I know he couldn't do it without you by his side. We feel blessed to be able to call both of your our friends (well we really do consider you more like family!) We love your little family!

crista said...

Wow I love reading your blogs, they are so powerful and so sweet. This one brought tears to my eyes on how sweet you love your husband.
I can tell he is very lucky to have such a strong and powerful woman like you stand by his side.

P.S. What a cute family you have :)