Sunday, September 14, 2008

A New Direction

With the first six months of deployment now behind us, I feel like now is the perfect time to stop and reflect, head "A New Direction." The past six months have passed surprisingly quickly! I imagine that has everything to do with raising Annabelle and keeping busy, as opposed to having a member of our family out of the country in harm's way. I'm quite certain if Annabelle were not here, each day would feel unbearably long, and the past six months would have felt like a year! Yet another reason to be thankful for Annabelle :) She and I have had a lot of fun together: We have seen neat things together; we have been new places and old places together; we have shopped, played, ate, danced, sang, laughed, walked, prayed, and even cried together. Notice how I didn't say we've cooked together--I'm on a one-year hiatus! There's always time for that next year :) I have been getting accustomed to life as a single mom, learning simultaneously how strong and weak I am--amazed by both!
As I look back to the past six months I realize I've made some great memories, captured some great moments. When Josh returned to Afghanistan I felt down. I was sad of course, but it was more of a lull and lack of motivation, not looking forward to "getting back to normal life." Then I thought, "maybe life doesn't have to go back to 'normal' as I have known it the past six months." Perhaps it will head A New Direction. As I look ahead to the next six months I realize I'd like to make some great memories, capture some great moments, and I'd also like to slow down. Sure there are a few things I'd like to get done before Josh gets home, and of course I don't plan on stopping workouts, but most importantly I'd like to get back down to the basics. What does that mean? Well I'm still figuring it out, but I think it means more journaling, more time at home, more prayer, more books, more serving, and hopefully more growth as a woman and mother.
In other news: Annabelle turned 1! It's like the primary song says, "One year older and wiser too..." She's definitely a clever one! She loves to talk, and is progressing quite quickly with her language. She also loves to play "Fetch." She throws whatever object is nearest to her, and then crawls to it...only to throw it again. My personal favorite is when she accidentally throws it behind her and nervously looks straight up as though it's still in the air about to crash down on her. Very cute! She is currently in the 95th percentile for her height, and the 20th percentile for her weight. If any of you have been seeking evidence of Josh's DNA...there you go! :)

8 comments:

jacksonx03 said...

Happy Birthday Annabelle! Wow, time flies. I am sure you are a great mom! I'll take any tips you have as you journey in your "new direction." I often feel that I have to do the same thing or at least readjust. I think we'll be doing a lot of readjusting these next few months.

Amy J.

Al said...

Happy Birthday Annabelle! She is so adorable! I can't believe she is 1 and we haven't met her in person yet! We need to take you out to dinner or something soon!

Staceroo said...

Annabelle is adorable. It sounds like you're doing well and keeping your priorities straight while your husband is away. There for awhile Chris would be deployed six month out of every year. Once I adjusted it started to feel like I had two lives: my single mom life, and my Chris life. While I totally preferred my Chris life, there were a lot of good things about my single mom life too, like having friends over for dinner while letting the kids play two or three times a week.
You're doing a great job, Robyn! You can do it!

lishajeanne said...

So cute decorations for the party. Oh and the kid is cute too! Tell Brittany I am thinking of her, that glimpse of her in the background super pregnant makes me glad I have a newborn.

Mandi said...

I love 1st birthdays. She is sooo cute! I feel for you having Josh gone. I can't even imagine.

ali-dot-e said...

Hey Friend, I just found your blog off of facebook, I hope thatis okay! Good stuff! I loved annabells cake! You are one tough woman Robyn! I love ya!

Kristy said...

Hey I am glad to see you joined the blogging world! Happy Birthday Annabelle. Let me know if you ever want to do something!

Lara said...

She is so cute Robyn! Saw your link off of Alisha- so get mad at her if you don't want me looking at this. :)