Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February Reads: "I Am A Mother"

I finished my first book for the month of February! It's titled "I Am A Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. I LOVE it! I actually received it from my mom as a Mother's Day gift 2 years ago, so this was my second time reading it. Even though it was my second time through, I still gained so much insight, love, faith and testimony as I read it. I have been thinking a lot about mothering and parenting lately. I find myself observing different mothering techniques and styles all the time--not in a judgemental way, but in an "inquisitive minds want to know"-type way. What works? What are mothers out there doing to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more organized and consistent, more loving, more healthy, more in tune with the spirit? All these questions and more are constantly on my mind, and as a result are a constant focus when I'm out and about in the world. This book doesn't give parenting or mothering "advice;" it simply reminds us of all the wonderful blessings that come from being a mother, and how much we can learn and grow along the way. Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up, I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep"
"You do not lose your identity when you become a mother; you have the opportunity to more closely identitfy with God, to become more like Him and to enrich the lives of all who come after you."
"And rather than losing my identity with the children, the irony is, I actually feel as though I have further identified my true self. I've worked my way through often difficult and complicated, but very human emotions...and found love and peace and tremendous happiness."
"It is not for you to be led by the women of the world; it is for you to lead the...women of the world, in everything that is praise-worthy, everythig that is God-like, everything that is uplifting and that is purifying to the children of men." Joseph F. Smith
"You can't possibly do this alone, but you do have help. The Master of Heaven and Earth is there to bless you...Rely on Him heavily. Rely on Him forever." Jeffrey R. Holland

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Robyn, thank you for this post. The quotes brought to the surface feelings that I've been dealing with a lot lately. The longer I go without another little one the more I realize how vital these days are, that I have to enjoy Livie and her innocence while it is here. And for me to realize how much I'm loved by Heavenly Father, to refine me and stretch me by being a mom. Thank you!!