Thursday, July 16, 2009

The 4th of July in Ennis and Virginia City

Yes, you read the title correctly: I am just barely writing about the 4th of July! But hey, better late than never! And really, it would be a downright shame not to write about it simply because it was so yesterday. So, here goes! When I was growing up, my family would spend an entire week in Montana every summer, and it was usually over the 4th of July for my dad's and grandma's birthdays. My dad's boss owned a cabin 20 miles outside of Ennis, and it was fantastic! The cabin was 3 stories, and had a fun loft where all the kids could sleep, complete with a pool table. We were also allowed to use the 2 ATV's to drive on all the nearby dirt roads and up the switch-backs on the mountain--Bliss!! Oftentimes our grandma and grandpa, and lots of cousins came to join us. This is how my fondness for Yellowstone and Montana began. I would even venture out and say this is where my love for the outdoors and nature started to grow. Until we spent time in Montana, I always thought a fun vacation had to include a pool and rides! Don't get me wrong, I still love visiting theme parks (I am a bit of a thrill-seeker) and I like floating around in a nice pool (I can't swim). But Montana is just on a different level from those types of activities, and it's probably because of my childhood memories. I was so happy to FINALLY be able to share this little slice of heaven with Josh, and I am equally happy that he ended up loving it as much as I do.

The 2nd half of our day was spent in Virginia City, an old ghost town 14 miles outside of Ennis. It is such a fun little town to visit! They have an old-fashioned candy shop where the entire store is the same price per pound! You just grab a bag, load it up with whatever you want (anything from salt water taffy to chocolate pretzels to junior mints) and it's all the same price. We also ordered some homemade ice cream from a small outdoor shop. It was in this little city where I 1st spilled a milkshake and ran to the bathroom sobbing from embarrassment. Ohhh memories :) After enjoying our sugary snacks we decided to go for a train ride down to "Nevada City," where we called it a day and headed home.

Here are some pictures of our day in Ennis, a fun old town with random shops and a few bars, and Virginia City, an old ghost town for the pioneer at heart :)
This is where Annabelle learned the word "Wagon"

Our 1st official stop at a "Scenic Turnout"

Me and Annabelle taking a break in the shade

Yum Yum! Annabelle's 1st lollipop, enjoyed in the nearby ghost town "Virginia City"


"Four Allegiance." Getting ready to head home to Utah

"Liberty One"

"Freedom Fighter"
Lastly, I must mention my favorite purchases from this trip, which I happened to find in Ennis. First is a book for Annabelle called, "Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?" It's darling, and it's all about how a princess goes on a hike with her dad, and they talk about all the fun things they see. I read it to Annabelle before each hike we go on :)
Second is a book for myself and Annabelle called, "Mom: Tell Me One More Story--Your Story of Raising Me." It is a little book which has 1 or 2 questions on each page with a blank area underneath for me to write in (although I will probably choose to type-up my answers, then stuff them in little envelopes beneath the question). I can't wait to get this started for her! My first question/page is, "Tell me how you met my dad and what first attracted you to him." Sounds like a fun one! :)








1 comment:

Nikki said...

Again, your trip looks like it was a blast. I am jealous. I would have loved to be up there with you guys. And I am a dork, but I must comment on how much I loved your dresses in the pics. That tan one with purple gray flower is my favorite. I saw that last month at the store and I was dying to get it. YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL in it! Lots of Love!